Thursday, October 23, 2014

My Second Language


         English language is an international language; many countries use it to communicate with foreign language speakers. English is my second language which I have some difficulties with learning it. The first reason of having these difficulties is I have grown up in non-English speaking environment (Kuwait) where we speaking Arabic language and I started learning this language in age six. That environment made it hard to have an English conversation with anyone even if I had that conversation it will not be as professional as when I talking with a native English speaker. Also, I didn’t speak English language most of the time because everyone is talking in my language. Not enough confidence for speaking English because I’m afraid to feel embarrassed if I made mistakes which set me back from being a better speaker. The second reason is poor reading skills because I don’t read English books a lot although it can develop my grammar and help me to in rich my vocabulary. In addition, I can translate the new words that I have redden to my own language which don’t help me of having a rich vocabulary knowledge, so the best way to translate it by using (English/English) dictionaries. Furthermore, in my country all the signs and advertisements are in Arabic, which I don’t have a chance to read more in English all the day. The last reason is not listening to English language as much as I have to. For example, all the TV shows and American movies are translated to my language. Besides that, I don’t listen to English songs often although it helps me to learn the pronunciation of some word. Sense all my friends and people around me are at the same English level as I am so it doesn’t help me to challenge myself for improving my English. In conclusion, I need to work on all those difficulties to upgrade my English skills, vocabulary, speaking mechanism and develop good basic principles of the English language to achieve my dream which is speaking and writing English in a perfect way like a native English person.

2 comments: